Monday, June 9, 2008

Vacation Observations

I was on vacation this past week..so other than being blown away with the wind out there...I didnt get to see that much sports..but thanks to the internet I wasnt competely left in the dark...here's what stood out to me since I've been gone.

With the Finals starting and the Celtics going up 2-0(Terrible game from the refs,but anyone with a pulse would say this isnt the 1st lopsided game..you really think no one could win on the road?)....it made me realize there officially arent any rivalries in the NBA...usually with rivalries there is
-a long standing back and forth between 2 great teams who meet up and play alot
-1 team who is on top but is constantly pushed by one team
-2 good teams who could geographically split the state that they live in
or
-2 teams who just dont like each other..

Yankees/Red Sox...Giants/Dodgers..Cubs/Cardinals...

Cowboys/Redskins..Patriots/Colts....Eagles/Cowboys

see?...most of those you can clearly see how they could be considered rivalries....in the NBA?...the ones that stick out to me are

Suns/Lakers
Lakers/Kings(no longer)
Spurs/Mavs
Suns/Mavs
Suns/Spurs

Its a little unusual that one team can take part in 3 of 4 "rivalries"..and when you really think about it....Suns still havent beat the Spurs....still...which is why I couldnt really include Wizards/Cavs.....Cavs have owned them every year...and I dont consider a rivalry something that can just 20 years off and just start back up...20!

Speaking of Celtics...Leon Powe didnt arrive last night...he's been good..since Cal....I need you guys to start watching more Pac-10 basketball..well..you might now because it was regarded as the "it" conference last year...but yeah..now I'm waiting on Ike Diogu to get some meaningful burn in Indiana and waiting to see where Ryan Anderson falls in the draft...just you wait..

My last mention of NBA is draft related......how much stock do you really put into the measurements of height of the players?....okay...Beasley isnt 6-10..or 6-9...so he's 6-8..did it stop him from dropping 26 and 12 every night?...no?...okay...also what bugs me is the measurement with shoes off...how many games each season do they play with only socks on?...if the answer is zero..do we care like that?...things that stood out to me

-Eric Gordon(Indiana) 40 inch vertical
-OJ Mayo(USC) 41 inch vertical(eeek)
-Derrick Rose(Memphis) 40 inch vertical
-Bryce Taylor(Oregon) 41 inch vertical

Chad Johnson is the reason why you shouldnt pay attention to the offseason in the NFL...

AT&T Park is a very nice baseball park...and Barry Zito live and struggling hurts as a fan
4.1 innings 7 hits 6 R 5 ER 5 BB 1 K with the loss..

At one point a guy behind me said here comes that Barry Zito heat...radar gun..74mph...everyone laughed...I couldnt help but to as well..

I am personally glad that Big Brown lost...very

1 comment:

S said...

Good point on the rivalries...

Though, Cavs/Wiz seems a bit legit to me, even though the Wiz never win.

The Boston/LA "rivalry" seems forced this time around. It was close to revival when Paul "Fake N Shake" Pierce came back in game 1...but since the Lakers haven't handled theirs since...it died.

*letting go*

lol@you doing yoga, you giant!